Saturday, May 9, 2009

Camera Course - OMG! I have so much to learn!!!

Well today I went to Bowen for the 1st day of my Camera Course - Taking Your Camera Off Auto. I have always loved photography and I am sure that this is going to make me love it even more!!! There is so much to learn about it though!!!
There was 5 of us there today and I was so surprised how much more my camera could do than what I knew how to play with!!! Taking it off the Auto setting is going to be trial and error though! I am going to read my manual now! And play play, play and play some more with the settings! Practise makes perfect!

We started off with Shutter Speed and Aperture...well I thought I had a fair idea about them but Ahh I still have lots to learn!

I do know though that Shutter Speed determines how long the shutter stays open, thus controlling the exposure to the image sensor.
The slower the shutter speed-the more light that will reach your film.
So in the case of a waterfall and you want to capture it so it looks like the water is held in suspension you need to have a slow shutter speed so you achieve this look.
The faster the shutter speed-the less light will reach your film.
So in the case of a child running in a sports day race you need to have a really fast shutter speed to freeze the action and avoid blurry images.

Then we went onto Aperture - Regulates the amount of light passing through the diaphragm opening in a camera lens when the photograph is taken. Aperture size is recorded as f stops, the larger the f stop the smaller the diaphragm opening is. This diagram is taken from Photography The Resource Page

Then we spoke about Depth of Field or (dof), which is another word for 'zone' of sharpness between the nearest and furthest of the subject in focus. So the larger dof you need a smaller aperture to make the image sharp. And a small dof results in the foreground being in focus and while the background is blurred! This is where we tried to take photos of flowers getting the ones in the front in focus and the ones at the back out of focus....I did say I tried but I didn't get this to happen when I photographed the Lilium and Gerbera flowers! I said that I have to practise more and more!Then we went onto all the different modes on the camera. These I will explain tomorrow! As I am now getting confused!!!
A - Aperture Priority Mode

S - Shutter speed Priority Mode

P - Program Mode

ISO

White Balance

OMG by the time it was finished I was so confused....But I know that I have to play with my camera now to get the right setting in the manual section of my camera....So taking it off the AUTO setting seems a lil daunting I am sure with practise I will be taking perfect pics in no time! Well I hope I will anyways!
Looking forward to sharing more photographs with you all, in the mean time Happy Snapping! Point, Focus and Shoot!! Luv Shaz xoxo

2 comments:

  1. .....uh huh....?!?!?!

    Nah, only kidding. I think I understood and followed your post. Just makes me think I need to look into what Craig's camera can do other than the auto settings. I understood the shutter speed and aperture size stuff, but would have no idea how to change them on our camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you sound like a pro. Now teach the rest of us what you have learnt. The close-up photos are so clear, are they taken inside?
    Wonder what tomorrows lesson will be.

    ReplyDelete